"C" is for Cookie?

Double or even Triple (low fat) Chocolate Cookies
On our epic drive from way up north to way down south, we sampled a few snacks I had prepared for the road trip including some yummy oatmeal cookies. The cookies were an experimental recipe and I used coconut oil for the fat so they were by no means low or non-fat. The truth about coconut oil is that it is saturated fat and we should avoid it like the plague but I happened to have some on hand and I'm still not so sure it is so awful that we can't enjoy an occasional cookie made with it. For more argument regarding coconut oil click here & here.

Cookies are not always easy to make if you are following a low-fat-plant-based way of life but cookies are definitely on my list of favorite things to make, especially when I have my BSC (best sous-chef) "C" in the kitchen. I love cooking in the kitchen of our Georgia home and one of the reasons is because of the memories created there. Memories of times spent with friends, cooking & eating yummy Sunday dinners, making Christmas goodies or coloring Easter Eggs with "C", (remember the time we colored eggs with the 2 English boys visiting next-door?) the list goes on, and because the house is so ancient, there are even thoughts and memories of generations of others, whose names I do not know, who no doubt cooked fabulous food in that kitchen. Its a great kitchen.

Well, apparently the cookies made with coconut oil were really well-liked by my traveling companions and a request came in for MORE PLEASE. Not only could I not remember the recipe, or there was no recipe, but I was not about to use coconut oil again any time soon. So, with Caroline, (or "C" as her  mom and I often call her) in the kitchen as my assistant I attempted another cookie which would be low fat and just as pleasing. Here are the results.

In this case, C stands for Cookie, C stands for Chocolate and always, C stands for my Caroline!!! Luv ya honey!

Sláinte







Low-Fat (Double or Triple) Chocolate Cookies
makes: as many cookies as it makes, depends on the size of your measure. I used a tablespoon.
Oven: 350 unless you have a convection oven, then lower the temp or time by 1/3

Ingredients:
2 c Flour ( I used 1c all purpose and 1c Whole Wheat Pastry Flour)
2/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/4 c ground flax meal soaked in 1/3 c soy or other non-dairy milk (I used low fat Oat milk)
1 c sugar
1/2 c pureed prunes (I have used both the kind in a bag and the ones in a jar. The jarred are more moist)
2 t vanilla extract
1/2 c vegan chocolate chips or 1/4 c cacoa nibs or both
3/4 c. chopped walnuts

Method:
1. Sift together Flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda & salt and set aside. (use med-large bowl)

2. In a separate Large bowl, mix together the sugar, prunes, soaked flax meal w/milk & vanilla extract.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, in batches without over mixing. Add the chocolate chips or cacoa nibs or both (hence the triple chocolate) and the nuts.
4. Drop by uniform measures onto sil-pat or parchment lined baking sheet and flatten.
5. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. Allow to cool a bit on the sheet then transfer to wire rack.
These cookies came out really moist, almost brownie-like. They were good but I miss a little more fat to give that nice cookie texture. Caroline and her mom seemed to really like them just the way they are:-)

Comments

Popular Posts