Green Cookies! Sunny Oatmeal Cookies



And NO, its not for St. Patrick's Day! As you know I have been preparing and selling plant-based goodies at the local Farmer's Markets. This week I tried a new Gluten-free cookie recipe. The recipe is not new, it is off the back of the Trader Joe's Gluten Free Oats package however I did put my own vegan, lower fat spin on it. The batter tasted delicious and the first cookies out of the oven trial where delish. I often scoop and freeze cookie dough so I can have "fresh-baked" cookies on Market days. I baked off another dozen of these little yumbos on Saturday morning so they would be fresh for the Washington Grange Farmers and Friends Market. I noticed a slight change in color, the cookies were yellow, almost like they had turmeric as an ingredient. I figured it must  be the Sunbutter I used to replace the peanut butter called for in the recipe. I have never used sunflower seed butter but I have been reading about it and saw it for sale at TJs. Because many of my clientele have food allergies, I decided to try it as a replacement for peanut butter in these cookies. Little did I know that Sunbutter reacts with Baking Soda and Baking Powder to produce a color change in the baked goods.



I sold dozens of these Sunny Oatmeal Cookies on Saturday and this morning decided to enjoy one with my morning tea. Much to my horror, the inside of the cookie was BRIGHT GREEN! I immediately "googled" cookies turned green inside to find the Sunbutter explanation of this phenomenon. I thought it best to post something immediately for anyone who purchased the cookies. They are completely safe and still delicious!


I apologize for the green, its actually really pretty, and green is the most pleasing color to the eye. Most of us have developed an appreciation for green smoothies, how about green cookies? Just pretend you are in a cafe in Amsterdam and they have served you these little delights warm from the oven. Hmmm, maybe instead of Maui Wowie burgers, I should call these cookies "maui-wowie"??


I think I will stick to Sunny Oatmeal Cookies!! Here is the recipe. I have cut back on the baking soda in this recipe to minimize the reaction.

Sunny Oatmeal Cookies

Based on Trader Joes' Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies
makes 48 cookies

Ingredients:
1/4 c. Coconut Butter
scant 1 t. baking soda
1 c. Succanat or evaporated cane juice
3 c. Gluten Free Oats
6 oz. vegan chocolate chips
2 T. Flax meal mixed with 6 T. h2o for replacing 2 eggs. Can use Egg Replacer as well.
1/2 c. sunflower seeds or chopped walnuts
1 t. vanilla
1 c. Sunbutter or Peanut butter 
  
Method: 
Oven: 350
1. Mix sugar and softened coconut butter together until creamy.
2. Add flax eggs, vanilla and baking soda, mix well.
3. Add Sunbutter and mix.
4. Stir in oats, chocolate chips and nuts.
5. Place teaspoon sized dollops of dough onto parchment lined cookie sheets spaced about 2" apart.
6. Smush balls of dough with moist hands to flatten.
7. Bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Comments

Popular Posts