Here is a variation of what Sandy had to say about Celeriac after she correctly guessed the answer to the Leafy Cafe Meatless Monday riddle: What is in my soup? I'm making Soup from something ugly, hairy & delicious! Can you guess what it is?
"As a part of the Apiacea/Umbelliferae family, these plants are felt to hold alot of Air as the main element. So the foods(from this group) move fluids and blood and improve circulation and vascular strength. The root being the earthiest part of this plant has more sweetness and subtle warmth but (when) blended in dishes that have starchier vegs like potatos,squash,etc...
I promised to post this recipe on TUESDAY but life got in the way, sorry! While we were visiting David's mum in England, she made some delicious vegan soups. I recreated one of these for Meatless Monday using some additional veggies we had on hand. Here are both recipes, both are delicious! Cheers to good taste!
|Celeriac Soup with Vegan Chorizo Garnish|
1 medium or large celeriac.
1 large onion.
2 pints vegetable stock
1 oz vegan margarine.
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. peel celeriac and carrots and chop into large pieces. peel and chop onion.
2. melt margarine and saute onion until soft. Add celeriac and carrots salt and pepper cover and cook for 10 minuets stirring often. Add stock and simmer for 20 minuets until tender.
Puree in blender . If this is too thick add a little more stock or soya milk to get your desired consistency.
Celeriac, Sweet Potato & Apple Soup with Fennel & Vegan Chorizo.
1 med. celeriac, peeled and diced
1 lg, onion, diced
3 carrots, washed and chopped
1 lg. yukon gold or other potato peeled & diced
1 lg. sweet potato, p & d (guess what that means:-)
1 - 2 apples ( I used galas because that is what I had) p & d
1/2 fennel bulb (only because I had to use it, it could be omitted)
4 - 6 cups veggies stock or water
1. Steam-saute onion in a bit of veggie stock or water in large soup pot until tender.
2. Add Celeriac, potatoes, & carrots and cook for another 10 minutes.
3. Add additional stock or water and simmer for 20 min or until veggies are tender.
4. Add apple and fennel and simmer for 10 min. more.
5. Puree with immersion blender or in a traditional blender in small batches, be careful! until desired consistency adding more stock if needed.
Optional garnish: crumbled vegan chorizo and a tiny bit of vegan sour cream. A little goes a very long way!