Relish your Bun with 4th of July Veggie Burgers!
|Bean Cake Combo Burger|
As promised, here are some of my favorite veggie & bean burgers for your holiday cookouts. All are low-fat and vegan. Some hold together better for grilling and others require the Funderburke Two Spatula method. We'll start with my new favorite, the Bean Cake Combo Burger
Bean Cake Combo Burger
2 cups cooked Kidney Beans
2 cups some other type cooked Beans
1 cup old fashioned oats or Barley, uncooked
1 cup cooked brown rice, quinoa, sweet potato or mixture of starches.
1 cup of cooked mixed veggies, I used frozen corn, peas, & carrots in this case
4 T. sauce such as BBQ, Tomato, or Salsa
Seasoning to taste such as Frontier's line of salt free: Blackened Creole, Bombay Veggie, Pizza Flavor, Mexican, etc. depending on what flavor you wish to add, should go along with the sauce product you select.
1. Mash 1/2 of the Beans with a potato masher or pulse gently in Food Processor
2. Add oats, rice or quinoa and pulse a bit more.
3. Add additional beans and all other ingredients and pulse until just incorporated, do not OVER PROCESS!
4. Form into burgers using molds or form into equally sized patties. I use lids from 1 qt. glass Mason jars for most of my patty molding, they work great! Just be sure you push the mixture into the lid and really pack it in there. OR you can make a ball with the mixture, then form the packed ball into a patty.
5. Cook on a non-stick grill pan or on outdoor grill over med-high heat for a couple minutes each side. Using a lid can really help cook these patties all the way through.
|Using Mason jar lids for the molds. These were once lids for some Rose-hips Jam :-)|