Figgy Almond Cookies with Anise

Figgy Almond Cookies with Anise 

Approx. 2 dozen cookies inspired by Veganomicon's Fig Smushed-Anise-Almond Cookies but with only 1/2 the fat!

Lower Fat Figgy Almond Cookies with Anise

These are neither whole foods nor what I consider healthy but they are vegan :-) A bit better than some other cookie options, these yumbos worked their way into my oven because I did not have the ingredients for much else. When we returned to our little home base in rural Maine, I had to do some recon in our pantry to be sure the mice did not have a party with any food D left out and about when he joined me in GA. When I found the open bag of what were once beautiful dried (but still moist) Organic Black Mission Figs I knew I had to use them up. The sugar had started to seep out of them and they really looked horrible. I was on the verge of the purge when I decided to soak them in some boiling water to see what would happen. In the meantime I looked for other ingredients and found a recipe in Veganomicon which I could modify to suit my needs and found ingredients. Here is what I came up with:

Oven - 350
Ingredients:
1 T. Ground Flaxmeal
1/4 c. non-dairy milk
1 c. sugar (I used succanat/sugar mixed)
1/3 c. organic canola oil (for full fat feel, use 2/3 c. oil and no applesauce)
1/3 c. unsweetened applesauce (for less fat, use 2/3 applesauce and no oil. I can't promise what will happen but they will be virtually fat-free cookies!)
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. anise extract
2 c. unbleached all purpose flour (next time I will try a mixture of Spelt or WW Pastry flours with the all purpose)
1 t. baking powder
1/2 c. almonds (finely chopped)
12 dried Black Mission figs cut in 1/2
notice the Fuhrman products still on the counter! I'm hoping for inspiration!

smushing the cookie dough with moistened hands
placing cookie dough onto silpat using a Tbl. sized cookie scoop


Method:
1. Mix flax meal and non-dairy milk together with a whisk or electric mixer
2. Add sugar, oil, applesauce and extracts and mix thoroughly.
3. Mix flour(s) with baking powder and sift. Add to wet ingredients one cup at a time.
4. Mix thoroughly then add almonds and continue to mix until fully incorporated.
5. Using a tablespoon of cookie dough or a cookie dough scoop such as this one, make balls of the dough and place on silpat or parchment lined sheet pans and flatten with the palm of your moistened hands or glass.                                 
6. Press a fig half in the center of each cookie, cut side down.

7. Bake for approx. 12 minutes (depends on your oven, convection or not, etc.) until browned on the bottoms only.
8. Leave on pan for a few minutes before moving to cooling rack.

Comments

Popular Posts